Sunday, March 29, 2009

Day 1 of OneLap School @ BeaveRun (3/27 - 28)

Whew, I just got back from aheckuva weekend. Which all started with some family difficulties which added to my already being late, meant that I didn't leave the house until 8pm friday, give or take 10mins for a gas & McD's. It also meant that I ended up driving the PA Turnpike in some of the worst rain I've been in since a coworker and I blitzed a storm w/ at least 1 tornado that grounded our flight. I pulled into the Beaver Falls Motel @ 12:30pm. I got to bed about 1.30 after trying to re-attach the go-pro camera mount, and using Gorilla glue in addition to the regular adhesive.

I got up and out to BeaveRun quite early, I think I was the 4th guy in through the gate (where you sign the waiver). So I milled around until registration opened at 7:30am-ish. I milled around some more, then picked out a spot to unload my stuff for the day. Then back up to the 'main' building for the drivers meeting and group 1/2 first class. Then I got to hang around for 30mins before my first session.

My first session didn't go as well as my first session at CMP. My instructor mentioned his stomach wasn't feeling very good, and he was having a little bit of trouble communicating what he wanted me to do. So, I ended up picking up some bad habits from 1-4, and into 9, although I didn't really realize it at the time. I went back for my second classroom. Then it was another 50mins until...

session #2, I rolled up to the grid and waited for my instructor. I could see him in the rear-view mirror on the other side of the paddock fence w/o a helmet and making no move to head this way. I think he stomach (or I) was more than he could handle. A couple other students were waiting for their instructors as well, but I ended up being last w/o one. I was getting a little worried, finally someone came running up and hopped in. We did two full laps under yellow (really about 2.75 laps, and the yellow means 'no passing'), and before we got done w/ the first lap my new instructor realized my bad habits (mainly braking in places I didn't need to) and gave me a good 'dressing down' about the Fit being a momentum car. So we ran several laps where I stayed in fourth for everything except turns 5 and 10-11 which are uphill. Talk about epiphany.

Then it was a break for lunch. I stayed at the track, and had a fun time watching the track staff scramble around working off the rust from not operating for several months.

Then, right after I was back on track again. I lined up and had the 2001 M5 behind me. We went through the parade laps, and i built up speed slowly, and he hung behind me. So when the standing yellow came in, I let him by on the front stretch. Greg (my instructor) then gets all animated about 'don't let him get away', and we go bombing into turn 1 faster than I had been. I keep on his tail all the way through 7 where his power starts walking him away. However, (somehow) we catch up again in the breaking zone for turn 10, and I hang in there while we claw uphill. Down the front stretch he pulls out again, but I'm on him by breaking later, and Greg's coaching me to carry more speed. I hang on him again all the way to 7, and catch up again into 10 where Greg has me try going into 2nd. The M5 doesn't get away as far until we clear turn 12. Greg comments that the driver's going to be going back to the dealer for more power :D. As we come up to turn 1 we catch up with the RS4 convertible, and Greg's making me a little uncomfortable, egging me to keep the power in while two much more expensive cars fill my windscreen. My heart is counting the zeros that my checkbook would have to cash, and my foot finds weakness. We get to the back stretch and the M5 is gone. I get by on the front straight. (woohoo another pass!) I get some clear laps, and Greg is real happy with my progress.

I honestly can't remember the details of my final session.

I hang around and attend the OneLap Banquet and get to know the some of the LapDogs, in particular the Canadian contingent that were down for the school. I had a great time, and end up at the bar with them for a couple hours, doing my best to soak up OneLap Knowledge, and not make too much of a er, horses-deadend, of myself.

No comments: