Monday, February 16, 2009

Massive President's Day Update

As, Greer might type: "OOFFDA!"

After the October CarGuy's HPDE, my instructor suggested that I postpone doing OneLap until 2010, to get more time on track. Also, Greer (who was going to co-drive) found out he and his wife were pregnant with #2. So, from October to Jan 1st the question of whether we'd being doing OneLap in '09 or '10 was up in the air.

Well, after a long talk, the decision has been made: OneLap '09!

Thank you Greer's Wife! You rock!

Of course, that means that we've only got enough time for me to be an on-track driver. Which means I've gotta bone up on some track time. Fortunately, my office is behind me and willing to allow me some flexible schedules to facilitate getting more track time. Currently, I'm planning on about 7 more track days under me before One Lap starts. The fun starts next weekend with a Carolina PCA event at Carolina Motorsports Park (CMP), which is one of the tracks on OneLap on Sat/Sun. Then I'm doing a TrackDaze event @ VIR on Mon/Tues. Yes, that's right, 4 straight days of track time! Should be a good, er, 'test' of the car & myself. Considering the current PCA roster:
15 911's of various vintage & configuration
5 Boxster's
1998 BMW 540i
1987 BMW 325i
1983 Porsche 944
2002 BMW Z3 M Coupe
2005 BMW M3
2007 Chevrolet Corvette

I can tell that the Fit's rear view mirrors are going to get another workout ;), and I'm going to have to do some left arm 'passing signal' exercises!

The budget doesn't have room for power modifications, so I've focused the first round of upgrades on brakes: Brembo blank rotors, & Hawk HPS pads. They just came in Friday/Today. I'll try and make some time between now and then to get them on. I've also got a wide-angle GoPro video camera on the way, so hopefully I can give you some great video of the rear-end of various Porsche's disappearing ahead of me :).

After I get through this weekend, the next round of upgrades will most likely be wheels/tires & coilovers.


Parting Shot:
I've got some pictures up from the October HPDE, here.

No comments: