Thursday, April 2, 2009

Day 2 of OneLap School @ BeaveRun (3/29)

It started with a major clap of thunder heard across Beaver, PA @ 6.30am. I didn't leave the bed 'till 7.30am; and by then it looked pretty clear. I showered quickly, and packed everything into the car. The manager was just opening up as I dropped off the key. Out to the Sheets for gas & breakfast, and to the track right around 8am. I signed in, and didn't pick up a tech sheet (was told I probably wouldn't need it).

I then dropped off my stuff, and covered it w/ the tarp from my father. I did a little walk around the car to check things over. Then it was class & stuff, then I head out to the grid on the first call for Group 1.

"Where's your tech sheet?"
"I was told I didn't need one"
"Nope, I gotta have one. Go pick one up {garbled} session."

I drive off the grid and get a new form, and then set about filling it out. The grid goes off, and my instructor comes running up. Are you going out? I lament my tech woes. I think if he coulda he woulda smacked me... "They just want you to sign the thing"

Oh, ok... check a bunch of boxes, and drive to grid.... wait, did I close the hood? Nope, hehe, good catch. We hand off the sheet, and drive off into the track... where it's raining. Between that, and being late, I'm a bit flustered. So I end up going slower than I'd like.

The session ends, and then it class. A short time, then out again. It's not raining anymore, and I take it faster... but I'm still getting run over a bit by an 3.5Altima, a modded G35, and the Cayman. But I'm hooking up 1-3 again, and am figuring out how to handle the puddle in my breaking zone for 4. Greg also has me get more comfortable about taking turn 9 'off the line'; since race cars have to do that kind of stuff all the time. Greg's pleased with my performance. It's lunch time.

I decide to delay getting lunch 'til 12.30... which ends up being a smart decision. Two sausage & onion sandwiches & a Pepsi, take a leak... then it's grid time again. I grab the goPro, and snap it in & turn it on as I pick up Greg. We talk about mods for the car for 1lap. I have a good session, and start taking 9 at 85now, and I (with Greg's urging) start getting more aggressive w/ my use of the curbs in 1-5. As we come in Greg signs off my sheet and tells me to take the next session solo. {pucker} "uh, ok"

It's another classroom. The air is pretty light. I wait 'till the end and edge into warning everyone that 'the crazy, slow, fit' guy will be solo. "So, what if your instructor has signed you off?" (i.e. Ya know, fyi, give me a break, etc.) The chief instructor is pleased, way to go, that's great! Oh yeah, btw, we're combining groups 1 & 2. {joy}{pucker}

I can feel my hands shaking slightly. I decide to leave the 2gig card & batteries in, because of the conditions & being nervous. The Sean & John from the Cayman are supportive. "You'll do great", "you'll probably drop 2sec a lap", "don't sweat it", etc. The call to the grid comes, and I head for it. Sean lines up behind me in the Cayman. I notice a 'vette & the R32 from group 2 line up behind him. Well, passes are guaranteed. I turn on the video, and the next two minutes are some of the longest in my life.

The wave us out. I'm nervous all the way to turn 4 of the first yellow lap. Then, I'm just focusing too hard. Hit this mark, look for that flag man, yeah I know the 'vette's waiting to get around. Point by. Shift. Flag stand. Brake, down-shift, glance at entry speed & turn-in. Nail it, curb, curb, float out, straight-wheel, brake brake, turn, floor it, look up the hill. Etc. I get lapped by the 'vette, the R32, and the cayman just pulls up as the session ends. Whew. That felt *really* good! I park, get some koodos from Sean, then he apologizes for lapping me. I made it!

I decide to take a look at the tires... woops, the left front is, worn, almost to the wear bar. I think I'll call it quits and make sure I get home; don't want to travel 200mi @ 55mph on the spare :(. I start packing up, the wind picks up, and then it starts hailing. Yeah, that just reinforces the decision.

I pack up, say my 'see ya's to John & Sean; and head home. Definitely a good decision to come out to the one lap school. I meant a bunch of cool people, learned more about driving the Fit, and had a good time. Now, I just gotta get my 'stuff' together so I can actually be on the grid, come May 1st.

No comments: