I lined up last behind Don Kahn in the Crown Vic after futzing around making sure the 170hp Alfa Romeo didn't start behind me. Then it was sit and wait for the second to last group, strap on the helmet, turn on the camera, and then as the second to last group clears their cool down lap lean over and start recording. Roll up to pit-out and wait to be flagged out. Then I zip out and start the recon lap, and start to catch up to Don. So, I have to balance figuring out speeds in corners, gear selection, lines, and not catching up to Don too quickly. Before I know it I'm start/finish and as I'm rolling up the first car takes off. I watch and figure out when they're releasing cars and get ready as Don swings around turn 2... it's the last I see of another car 'till I pull into the pits.... but that's kinda the point.
The flag goes down and I try a hard start, and go zipping deep into turn 1, electing to run it in second. I run a little wider than I figured, the track feels a little slippery and I let off a little to tuck into the apex of 2. then it's on the gas grab 3rd in the middle of 3 and let the car slide out a bit. Up a short straight, slow up a bit (maybe too much) and leaving it in third toss it left into 4 then let it track out and grab 4th. Turn 5 they warned us about in the route book, so I slow down for it and head back to third. I'm forgetting turn 6, a right hander I think then another bit of straight and then a decreasing radius right that has a corner combination that I cant remember right now... but that I know I botched (slowed too much for each lap). Between 6 and 9 is fuzzy, but 9 & 10 I recall quite well. On laps 1 & 3 I carried a bit too much speed and was slow getting on to the back straight. But lap 2 I nailed them, and it was a good feeling. The back straight is 1800 odd feet long and I was clipping around 85/90 at the end of the straight. On the first lap I got past the '3' braking mark and go to the pedal... only to find mush and not as much braking as I'm used to from the HPS'. *pucker* I keep my foot in it and take whatever braking I can get drop 3rd, go deep into the corner and then grab 2nd and trailbrake into 11 and get back on the gas half way through it, keep in the middle of the track and toss it into 12. Grab 3rd, and shoot down the short stretch brake for 13, and then try and sweep 14 nibble 15 and then grab 4th for the haul down the front straight. Because of my experience on the back stretch I brake early for 1 and it grips more like I expect from the HPS'... however I decide to be conservative with my braking the rest of the session. I end up only really 'attacking' 1,2 &3, 11 through 15.
Ooooff, well, sorry about the novel... but this is kinda a diary... way for me to remember the tracks.
The route from AutoBahn to Cincinnati was pretty good. Other than getting boxed in by some stupid drivers. We've seen a handful of other OneLappers. Caught up with a couple at a gas station and talked to some of the locals... the stickers make them curious.
And yes, the White Castle was delicious... but I'll deny it later... even if you show me this print out. ;) Greer's happy he's gotten his yearly dose, and I look forward to getting to stop at Waffle House :D.
Saturday, May 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment