So got rolling early this morning, stopped at the Starbucks for some quick coffee and breakfast treats. Then we get to TireRack and unload. During the drive it feels like the temperature drops a bunch of degrees, clouds roll in, and the wind picks up. Greer & I are in shorts. We unpack and leave the car running (we've got plenty of fuel today). After we do that we here that they want people on the skidpad for a group photo... a group photo w/ the cars. So we head out and end up on the left hand of the photo. I end up sitting on the window sill so that my legs stay warm. We get to stand around while all the cars and positioned and late ones show up... then we get to wave for the camera. Then we wait while they load up the MotorTrend video dude, and we get to monty python 'yeah'. Which actually how the first one goes. Someone helpfully suggests from the cars: "tell us this is the last one and we can leave, then we'll have something to cheer abo8ut" Apparently it works, 'cause the next take is printed.
We head back to the parking lot, and I decide to pull on my driving suit for an extra layer of warmth. It works out too, 'cause I gotta be on the pad in the next 20 mins. The pad goes ok, I'm more comfortable than the wet one... and feel like I know the car better. I pull an 0.861, which is ok... I think I lost some time going into the clockwise direction. Other than that, I'd probably need more practice to go any faster. CMP? I hear Summit Point has a pad ;).
So, I hang around for a while, while Greer heads back to the hotel for real pants. At noon we gather in the back of the TireRack warehouse for the awards banquet (instead of the tent, which would have been durn cold. We ended up getting two awards: All the Rest of the Field, and 2nd Place Econo. The 2nd Place Econo is a fairly nice glass plate. The "All the Rest of the Field" is an award for the person who has run all the events with the least to show for it. This earns us another interview with MotorTrend; they're looking for/at the alpha&omega story.
We came back to the hotel and fell asleep. No we're up and contemplating dinner. Tomorrow am we load up and do the 10hour drive home.
#1 question asked today and yesterday: Are you coming back next year? or What are you bringing back next year?
Saturday, May 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment